Coulson Building Group were appointed main contractor to work alongside Archangel Architects to transform the Grade I listed St Mary’s Church in Ely.
The project has transformed the building for a growing city – beautiful, functional, and open for church and community events 7 days a week.. St Mary’s have reimagined their church for future generations.
The addition of an underfloor heating system fed by air source heat pumps will hugely reduce the church’s carbon footprint. Improved background heating will also have a long-term positive impact on the health of the building and reduce maintenance needs going forward.
Other works included:
· Removal of pews from the nave and aisles; provision of new stone flooring and a more flexible worship space.
· Re-order of the Lady Chapel.
· Adjust the floor level in the Chancel and construct a new vestry and store area .
· Creation of toilet facilities in the base of the tower.
· General miscellaneous re-ordering works throughout.
· Complete electrical re-wiring, lighting works; installation of a new underfloor heating system
· Construction of a new first floor gallery, linking to the existing first floor in the tower, together with staircase, balustrading and the like.
· Finishes, decorations and ancillary works associated with a scheme of this nature.
The works were completed on budget and on programme and the church users are now enjoying their new flexible church space with a reduced carbon output.